Insha’allah, the purpose of this group is to understand the Qur’an more deeply through independent study and contemplation over the course of a month.
How It Works
The group selects a sura and then we work with it independently for a month. Our intention during this month is to recite the sura often, explore its possible meanings, contemplate it, and/or memorize it (if desired). At our next meeting each person is given the opportunity to share what they’ve received, invite dialogue, ask questions, etc. Insha’allah, this will enrich and broaden our understanding and connection to Allah through His Holy Words. All levels of knowledge are welcome.
Next Sura: Ya Siiin (36)
Date: The second Friday of every month (June 9, 2023)
Time: 8:00 am PT / 11:00 am ET
Facilitators: Shams Wesley, Nura Baughman
Meeting ID: 829 9190 1229
One tap mobile
Dial by your location: +1 305 224 1968 US
Find your local number
These meetings will be recorded, insha’allah. If you do not wish for your image to be recorded, simply disable the camera feature in Zoom during the meeting. If you do not wish for your voice to be recorded, simply ask the facilitator to pause the recording before you speak, insha’allah.
These are some of the resources people in this group find useful, alhamdulillah. Please feel free to use whatever resources work best for you, insha’allah. If something is working well for you, let us know and we’ll add it to this list, insha’allah.
Qur’an Translations & Commentaries
The Tajwidi Qur’an – Shaykh Nooruddeen Durkee (Arabic, English Transliteration, English Translation)
This Qur’an pioneered an English transliteration system which was carefully crafted to enable English readers to recite Qur’an with correct pronunciation.
- Purchase a hard copy
- Download the .pdf
- Get the iPad & iPhone app (no Android app available at this time)
The Study Qur’an – Seyyed Hossein Nasr (English Translation)
A Qur’an translation with extensive commentary which includes both Sunni and Shi’a perspectives. Is widely considered the best Qur’an commentary in English for scholars, teachers, muslims, and students.
The Message of the Qur’an – Muhammad Asad (Arabic, English Translation, Transliteration (online))
A Qur’an translation with extensive commentary that predates The Study Qur’an. This extremely influential commentary is based in modern worldviews with an underlying pattern of scientific and rational thought.
The Qur’an – A new translation by M.A.S. Abdel Haleem (a.k.a. The Oxford Classics Qur’an) (English)
This book contains an English translation (no Arabic or transliteration) which is easier to read than many. The language is less archaic than most translations and the ayat are organized in paragraph form, by topic, as is standard for English prose.
Decoding the Qur’an – Ahmed Hulusi (English)
This is a Sufi translation and interpretation of the Qur’an, translated into English from Turkish. It highlights the non-duality of existence and modern scientific realities.
- Request a free hard copy
- Read it online
- Get the iPad & iPhone app (includes recitation and transliteration for each ayah)
- Get the Android app
Sidi translated in English
Our beloved guide, Sidi Muhammad al-Jamal ar-Rifa’i ash-Shadhili, composed several Qur’an tafsir books. Some of them contain transliteration and translation, as well. All of these books can be purchased on sufimaster.org.
- Tafsir of Juz’ ‘Amma (Suras 1, 78-114)
- Tafsir of Juz Tabaraka-l-ladhi and Juz Qada Sami`a-llahu (Suras 58-77)
- TAFSIR (Suras 36 – 57)
- Tafsir of Suratu-l-Ghafir and Suratu-l-Fussilat (Suras 40-41, Juz 24)
Ibn Ajiba translated into English
- The Immense Ocean (al-Bahr al-Madid) – Mohamed Fouad Aresmouk and Michawel Abdurrahman Fitzgerald (Suras 55-57 ar-Rahman, al-Waqi’ah, al-Hadid)
- The Opening and Other Meccan Revelations – Abdul ‘Aziz Suraqah (Suras 1 al-Fatiha, 95 at-Tin, 105 al-Fil, 106 al-Quraysh, 110 an-Nasr, 111 al-Masad, 112 al-Ikhlas)
Other Helpful Resources
- The Hans Wehr Arabic-English Dictionary – Hans Wehr, J. Milton Cowan
- corpus.quran.com – Good for looking up Qur’an word-by-word and hearing pronunciation. Also good for comparing translations.
- There are many, many websites and apps that offer the Arabic, English translations, English transliteration, Arabic pronunciation, Arabic recitations, commentaries, and more. Spend some time on goodle and if you find something great, let us know!
Oh Allah, thank You for opening our hearts and inspiring us to gain a greater understanding of Your Book.
Thank You for giving us and all of humanity this true guidance.
You are the Most High, the Great, the Light, the Truth, the Guide, and the Source of Everything.
Please guide us and help us to understand Your words in the way You want us to.
Help this group’s work to be a source of healing and wisdom and enlightenment for all who attend, for our tariqa, for our wider umma, and for all the world.