What is SSC?
Shadhiliyya Sufi Communities (SSC) is a 501c3 non-profit organization licensed in the state of Wyoming to operate as a church under the Wyoming Nonprofit Corporation Act. SSC is the one umbrella organization Sidi established to serve the entire community, including all of the regions and beloveds in our North American community. SSC also offers support and services to our international communities including Mexico, Argentina, England, Jerusalem and beloveds worldwide.
What Does SSC Do?
- SSC is the communications and community support hub for the North American Shadhiliyya Sufi community who took hand with Sidi.
- SSC receives and distributes donations to the poor in Jerusalem and to our community members who need temporary financial assistance.
- SSC offers accessible classes on topics related to Sufism for no cost or low cost, and it maintains the community TeamUp calendar.
- SSC organizes group worship and education for community religious observances, such as Ramadan, Hajj, Mawlid, and other holidays.
- SSC initiates community projects focused on creating unity within our community.
- SSC does the necessary work to meet the needs of the community, its properties, and maintain its legal non-profit status.
- SSC maintains this website in order to provide services and resources to all beloveds.
Who Runs SSC?
The SSC Board of Directors oversees our day-to-day work, along with our Operations Manager.
How Are Board Members Selected?
Sidi put the following system in place–North America is divided into 8 regions: Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast, South Central, Midwest, Northern California, Southwest, and Northwest. Each region elects 7 members to form its own Regional Council. Two people from each Regional Council are selected to serve on the SSC Board of Directors for a term of 1-3 years. New board members can be accepted onto the board at any time.
Two to three times a year, the Board of Directors holds a members meeting where updates are given, proposed amendments to bylaws are approved, and issues are raised and discussed as needed.
Board of Directors & Staff
Abdul Latif Howard: Northeast region rep., Chairman, Executive Committee, Website Committee, Fundraising Committee, Waliyy Circle, Land Committee, ByLaws Committee
Rahim Jon Bushard: Midwest region rep., Secretary, Executive Committee, Beloveds In Need Committee, National Gathering Committee
Nur Jeffery Preston: Southwest region rep., Treasurer, Executive Committee, Finance Committee
Sukayna Ronda Mau: Northwest region rep., Programming Committee, Waliyy Circle, ByLaws Committee
Halima Kimberlee Bach: Mid-Atlantic region rep., Fundraising Committee
Amin Daniel Colman: Southwest region rep., Land Committee, National Gathering Committee
Nura Melody Baughman: The Land region rep., Fundraising Committee
Ruhayyah Ferrante: Northeast region rep., National Gathering Committee
Nura Laura Benghal: The Land region rep.
Said Tom Mangino: Mid-Atlantic rep.
Rachida Rabiah Faid: Southeast rep.
Daoud Edward Lewis: Southeast rep.
Shams Tara Wesley: Operations manager, Programming Committee, Fundraising Committee, Finance Committee, National Gathering Committee, Waliyy Circle, ByLaws Committee, Sidi Archives Project, Website Committee
Our Mission Today is the Same As Its Always Been
- To preserve and share the pure teachings of our guide, Shaykh Sa’id Muhammad al-Jamal ar-Rifa’i ash-Shadhuli, with all who are called to Allah through his spirit, now and in the future.
- To be a resource and a hub that cares for and nourishes the hearts of his students and the holy communities they build.
- To support and encourage beloveds gathering and continuing to walk with these teachings.
- To share the message of peace, love, mercy, justice and freedom to all people without separation.
Our Intentions and Commitment to Service
- We serve Allah by caring for the community of beloveds whom He has gathered through the spirit of our guide Sidi Muhammad al-Jamal, fostering connections, listening to their hearts and responding to their needs as community facilitators and caretakers who honor our guide’s message and fear only Allah.
- We are a welcoming doorway for new students who continue to be drawn by Sidi’s spirit into the love of God, who are seeking the knowledge of Shadhiliyya Sufism as transmitted and revealed to us by our guide Sidi. For all students, we are committed to preserving and sharing this pure legacy and message of our guide that is kept in his books, recordings and the hearts of his students.
- We seek ways to nourish and lift up individuals and communities who are striving to actualize these teachings and become the message of Unity, Peace, Love, Mercy, Justice and Freedom for all people without separation.
- We are a communications and support hub that serves the students of our guide, weaving our communities and groups together as one heart and one united family, promoting collaboration and unity, forgiveness and healing, respect and appreciation for all.
- We encourage and water the seeds of hope and inspiration that manifest in the hearts of those called by Allah to stand in their truth and do good in this world, celebrating outer diversity while confirming our greater inner unity.
- We provide opportunities to gather for worship, healing, and deepening our understanding of the teachings, for all those called by Allah and Sidi’s spirit to taste and to walk in the Shadhiliyya Sufi way.
- We encourage and support beloveds with their walking within community as they travel by the Grace of Allah through the stations of the path, seeking truth, knowledge and healing on their journey away from fear and into the love of God, surrendering, moving closer into unity and arrival at the door of their Lord and Sustainer.
- We will seek counsel and guidance from the teachings of our guide Sidi, the holy Qur’an, the Sunnah of the Prophet Muhammad, peace and blessings be upon him, and the Murshids and elders of our community.
- We are here to provide a portal for giving to the poor, needy, and the sick as we believe these holy gifts offered with prayers bring benefit to both those who give and those who receive.
- We recognize that any good that comes from our service is by Allah alone and that we have no power or authority beyond what He has already ordained. We offer ourselves in service to His creation expecting no reward other than His pleasure. We are His servants and He alone guides us and we will turn to Him in repentance and seek His forgiveness for any errors we may make in our attempts to serve. Amin.
Requirements to be a member of the SSC Board of Directors
- Be nominated by your Regional Members Council
- Willing and able to give 4-8 hours per week
- Available for monthly Wednesday evening board meetings
- Serve on at least one committee
- Have working skills the board needs
- Be accountable and responsive to communications by email, text and phone
- Understand and support SSC’s Mission and Intentions and Commitment to Service
- Sign a confidentiality agreement
- Uphold and obey all existent SSC bylaws
- Be responsible for your own spiritual walking and self care
- Be a good team player
- Be committed to serving the greater good of community
2021 Annual Report
This is an end-of-year report showing SSC’s 2021 expenses.
2020 Annual Report
This is an end-of-year report showing SSC’s 2020 expenses.